What are the benefits of coconut water? Holistic health coach, Alyse Cocliff founder of "An Apple a Day" - gives us the low down on the actual benefits of the renowned drink!
"Working with athletes, I'm constantly looking for natural ways to help the body rehydrate and/or recover after intense training sessions and competitions. One product that I highly recommend is coconut water and here is why:
- It contains no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives and is 100% natural.
- Coconut water is packed with essential electrolytes (calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium) to help our bodies re-hydrate efficiently and effectively post work-out/training & even hot yoga.
- It contains bio active enzymes that help digestion and promotes healthy thyroid function.
- Coconut water is a great source of B-complex vitamins such as riboflavin, niacin, thiamin and folates that are critical to the healthy function of the body's nervous system, muscles, vital organs and metabolism.
- Research suggest that cytokins in coconut water showed significant anti-ageing and anti-carcinogenic effects.
- It tastes DELICIOUS!
For those completing intense training, I recommend adding a pinch of Celtic sea-salt to increase the level of NATURAL sodium to match those of artificial sports-drinks.
Be careful if you purchase packaged brands of coconut water as some products are inferior to others. When clients can't get their hands on a fresh coconut, I encourage them to enjoy Nakula Organic coconut water.
For weight management, Coconut water shld be used as a booster 150ml-250ml after a tough exercise session. Coconut water is safe for children and a great addition to a breakfast smoothie, or simply straight from the source"